Pressurized intraperitoneal aerosol chemotherapy (PIPAC) is a promising and innovative method for treating peritoneal metastasis. The team of Dr. Amit Merchea, MD, FACS, has performed the first PIPAC in the USA on Dec 4th, 2019 at Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, FL. Mayo Clinic is ranked No. 1 hospital nationwide by U.S. News & World Report. Dr. Merchea was trained by ISSPP in PIPAC indications, technology and occupational health safety. A phase 1 FDA approved study may start enrolling patients in the near future. It is anticipated that, after obtaining FDA approval, other US centers will participate in and organize randomized trials evaluating this method.
- ISSPP 2021- 2nd Congress in Rome was a full success
- Creation of an ISSPP working group on “Advanced data science in peritoneal metastasis”
- The Peritoneum Prize 2021 awarded to Paul Sugarbaker, MD
- Current recommendation of the French Haute Autorité de Santé (HAS) on HIPEC (June 2021)
- Karolinska University Hospital introduces PIPAC in Sweden for the treatment of seriously ill cancer patients