Pressurized intraperitoneal aerosol chemotherapy (PIPAC) is a promising and innovative method for treating peritoneal metastasis. The team of Dr. Amit Merchea, MD, FACS, has performed the first PIPAC in the USA on Dec 4th, 2019 at Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, FL. Mayo Clinic is ranked No. 1 hospital nationwide by U.S. News & World Report. Dr. Merchea was trained by ISSPP in PIPAC indications, technology and occupational health safety. A phase 1 FDA approved study may start enrolling patients in the near future. It is anticipated that, after obtaining FDA approval, other US centers will participate in and organize randomized trials evaluating this method.
- ISSPP launches the new international PIPAC registry
- Covid-19 pandemia: ISSPP recommendation for the therapy of patients with peritoneal and pleural metastasis
- Preannouncement: 2nd ISSPP congress to be held in Rome, Italy, from Oct 7 to 8th, 2021.
- First PIPAC in the United States of America, Mayo Clinic
- Peritoneum Prize 2019 awarded to Willemien J van Driel, MD PhD