The ISSPP Peritoneum Prize 2019 was awarded to Dr. Willemien J van Driel, MD PhD, for her seminal contribution to the therapy of peritoneal metastasis of ovarian cancer. As the Principal Investigator of a multidisciplinary team of the Netherlands Cancer Institute, she demonstrated that, among patients with stage III epithelial ovarian cancer, the addition of HIPEC to interval cytoreductive surgery resulted in longer recurrence-free survival and overall survival than surgery alone and did not result in higher rates of side effects. This seminal work was published in January 2018 in the New England Journal of Medicine, the world-leading journal in medical research.
- ISSPP 2021- 2nd Congress in Rome was a full success
- Creation of an ISSPP working group on “Advanced data science in peritoneal metastasis”
- The Peritoneum Prize 2021 awarded to Paul Sugarbaker, MD
- Current recommendation of the French Haute Autorité de Santé (HAS) on HIPEC (June 2021)
- Karolinska University Hospital introduces PIPAC in Sweden for the treatment of seriously ill cancer patients